Composition: Rosuvastatin 5mg
- Rosuvastatin is a member of the drug class of statins, lowering high cholesterol and triglycerides in certain patients. It is recommended to be used only after other measures such as diet and exercise.
- It is used to slow atherosclerosis (narrowing of the arteries) in patients with high blood cholesterol levels.
- It is also used in certain patients to reduce the risk of heart attack or stroke.
Mechanism of action:
- It acts by inhibiting HMG-CoA reductase, an enzyme found in liver tissue that plays a key role in production of cholesterol in the body.
- If one allergic to any ingredient in Rosuvastatin.
- In pregnancy and breast feeding.
- In active liver disease or abnormal liver function.
- If one addicted to alcohol or a history of alcohol abuse.
- More serious side effect are muscle pain, tenderness, lack of energy, fever, chest pain, jaundice, dark colored, or foamy urine, pain in the upper right part of the abdomen, loss of appetite, flu-like symptoms, sore throat, chills.
Rosuvastatin may have negative interaction with following drugs.
- Warfarin (anticoagulant), cimetidine, cyclosporine, ketoconazole, clofibrate, fenofibrate, gemfibrozil, spironolactone and niacin.
- It may also interact with antiviral drugs like atazanavir, lopinavir and ritonavir.
- Alcohol intake while on rosuvastatin may increase risk of liver damage.
- Antacids should not be taken within two hours of taking rosuvastatin.